Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Trust, Play and Creativity

Why do we lose our creativity over time? Why, as adults, are we not supposed to "play" anymore -- not video, card or board games -- but really play. Blocks, Lego, forts, tree-houses, cardboard boxes, Nerf guns -- these are "kids games."

Here's a very interesting presentation (~28 minutes) by Tim Brown about the relationship between play, creativity and even learning, again from TED (I wasn't kidding when I said I was going to watch as many of them as I could). I've been thinking about the benefits of play for a while now, but if you've ever wondered why, other than cool factor, all these super-successful, creative companies like Google and Pixar have such an investment in their "fun" -- this is why.

"We need trust to play and we need trust to be creative."

No comments:

Post a Comment